One day about 2 weeks ago, I noticed that Maggie usually goes right to sleep in her car seat. No fighting her. It made me wonder why can she fall asleep by herself in her car seat, but not outside of it? So I got to thinking, maybe it’s the music. Maybe she likes the music and the movement to fall asleep to. Because when I just bounce her around, she cries. It was her bedtime and I decided I was going to put my theory to test so I put on some ABBA (dancing queen to be exact), I scooped Maggie into my arms and danced around our bedroom. ZERO crying and she fell right to sleep against my shoulder. I couldn’t believe it. I put her in her crib with no drama and one happy baby and mamma.
Over the last two weeks I have been able to put her down for naps and bedtime this way – music and dancing. As long as she has been fed recently, it usually works. And I have to admit I love it. She usually will stare at me for a few minutes before relaxing into my shoulder and falling fast asleep. I know that soon she will be too big or heavy to continue this routine, so for right now I am enjoying it. I know I am supposed to put her in her crib partially awake, but I don’t care. I love this special time and I will worry about the “consequences” later.
So her bedtime routine with me is
1. Jammies on and a fresh diaper. We play with toys during this time.
2. I take her upstairs and turn on some music and turn most of the lights off
3. I carry her around the bedroom while I do things like brush my teeth and change for bed.
4. Sometimes I read her a story
5. I hold her upright against my shoulder and dance to the music until she falls asleep (which is usually 1-2 songs)
6. I put her in her crib, tell her I love her, and then head downstairs. Not a bad way to end a day.