Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Block Island and Lighthouses!!!

The place to go for Connecticuters to get away is this little place called Block Island, Rhode Island.  A little Island that is about 12 miles off the coast sitting just above the mouth of the Long Island Sound.  On the advice of some of Seana's coworkers and a bit on a whim... we decided this was the place we wanted to spend our day on Sunday.

This was a great decision... aside from me getting a touch motion sick on the ferry ride on the way home.

Let me just start out by admitting that I have a love for lighthouses and was super excited at the opportunity that I might see one!!  Seana was not so into the idea of doing a ton of site seeing she wanted to just relax, go there, eat, wander, relax.... I of course wanted to see the island and most importantly I wanted to get up close to a light house.

On the drive to the ferry, we discussed and I read to her about the lighthouses in the area from my "New England Lighthouses" book.  This perked her interest and she caved and allowed a visit to one lighthouse!!! YES!!!!

So here we go! 

Seana and Maggie hanging out on the deck of the ferry!  While on the ferry we actually saw 4 lighthouses I was nothing short of ELATED!
 Maggie and I posing as we docked at Block Island... isn't that beach in the background beautiful?!
We had lunch where I had my first lobster roll!! Then we decided to catch a cab and be given a mini tour of the island... first stop the light house of course!  This is the Southeastern Light of Block Island.  Still active!  It actually sits near a cliff and it actually had to be moved back from the edge as erosion threatened to cause her to topple down the cliffs into the sea!  Don't worry no tax dollars were used for the move, some lighthouse lovers managed to raise 1.5 MILLION to pay for the move.

Here is a link to historical information on this light house :  





We then drove up to the cemetery but didn't have time to really look around, we were blessed to have a very informative and friendly cabbie... he was great... filling us in on all the history as we rode along.

Our trip was short, so we ended the day with some shopping, I opted to splurge on a hoody.

On our return trip on the ferry I was determined to get a couple photos of the lighthouses  we saw.

This one below is the Race Rock Lighthouse which wasn't featured in my New England Lighthouse book.  A link for more information on Race Rock:

http://www.longislandlighthouses.com/racerock.htm



This beauty is the New London Ledge Light,  she is quite a sight, like a house just hanging out in the water.

The link:

http://www.lighthouse.cc/newlondonledge/history.html


This is the New London Harbor Light, which is the first lighthouse we saw for the day and as such the last.  This picture is not the best.

Here is a link to the history:

http://www.lighthouse.cc/newlondon/history.html



We also saw the Block Island North Light when we were arriving and departing block island but I failed to get a photograph. Here are a couple I pulled off the internet.



A link to the history: 


We had a great time it indeed is a wonderful day trip to make!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks so beautiful!! Glad you all had a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog this morning! I grew up in RI and visited Block Island a few times growing up.It is beautiful during foliage season. I now live in TX and miss New England alot.

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete