Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Oyster Festival!

The trip to Block Island left us a bit spent for the weekend, not spent enough to not do something but enough to not tackle any real big outings...  Luckily we had anticipated this and made plans with our friend Laura and her family to go to the Annual Oyster Festival in Norwalk, CT!

Let me just preface that I have never tried raw oysters, the closest I have come to consuming these bad boys is in fried form.... While in Nashville this summer I enjoyed a fried Oyster Po'Boy sandwich and it was delicious!!

When we arrived we saw another light house in view in the distance from where we parked!  This is the Peck's Ledge Light house.

Here is a link to its History: http://www.lighthouse.cc/pecksledge/history.html


When we arrived at the festival, we quickly tracked down Laura and family and watched her boys ride a couple rides!  Then as a group we headed out to find food...

I had the thought to try a raw oyster at the festival... but to my surprise and a touch of relief we could not locate many oyster munching options... The only option we saw was fried!

We all had different tastes in mind so we diverged and wandered off our separate ways... Seana, Maggie and I of course stuck together..... Seana got a hotdog!! And since I have tried fried oysters before I opted for one of my favorite dining options BBQ RIBS baby!! I purchased ribs from this award winning place (so they advertised with trophies and banners of their accomplishments).... sadly my ribs just weren't that great... they were actually very chewy and dry I had to set them in a bath of bbq sauce to cover the texture a bit.  The sauce had good flavor though I give them that!!!

After lunch we met up with Laura and family and started through the craft booths, but her boys wanted to do more rides and they left us to peruse.

Once we were through the booths we decided to head back home.  We had a great time despite the lack of Oysters.  Funny how something starts as an Oyster festival and ends up a craft show with carnival rides and fair food.

They did have this sand carving...worth posing in front of!




No comments:

Post a Comment