Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2011

Every year this day puts me in a contemplative mood.  I think about that day.  How I watched the events unravel on the TV and as it all transpired feeling my sense of security slip away.

Terrorism had defined itself for me.  I know this wasn't the first act of terrorism against America but for me it was the first time I felt like it hit home.... The first time I felt affected by it.

As 9/11 approached I found myself drawn to youtube reliving the horror of it all as I pulled up video after video of that day.  With each viewing I felt those same emotions I felt 10 years ago, I don't know how long it took until I couldn't stomach it anymore.

Now I sit here.  And all I feel is disappointment.  I like much of the country got caught up in the emotions of it all, all the anger.  I wanted to go to war and get even.  I still think that going to war was not a mistake, I think mistakes while at war have been made but that is the nature of it all.

My disappointment isn't the war, it is the birth of a new prejudice... Well the prejudice was already present, this just made it spread like wildfire.  Anyone who looked like they were from the middle east became a target.  I too felt it, that unsure feeling when I saw someone who looked like they were muslim; seeing them made me wonder if they were a good muslim or an extremist... a "terrorist".  I would get agitated when traveling and I would be carded for further screening, exasperated with the thought that I don't look muslim or middle eastern I of all people should not be subjected to further screening.

I am ashamed of those thoughts, the terrorists were extremists, and extremists aren't the majority they are a small percentage of any group and they come in all shapes and sizes.  Many extremists who deserve the title of terrorist look nothing like a person of middle eastern decent and many aren't even muslim.

Heck I can think of one or two Christian Extremists whose actions could be deemed an act of terrorism but we don't want to hear about that.  No one who shares the same God as ourselves is capable of such acts right!???

Time to step off the soap box.  My thoughts are with those victims of 9/11, their families and the survivors.   You are all in my prayers, as are the many other victims and survivors of all terrorist acts.

Like many others vow, you will always be remembered.






No comments:

Post a Comment