Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 21, 2010

H1N1 meet my arm

I spent the first couple weeks of January hemming and hawing about whether I should get the H1N1 vaccine. My work was having a clinic on January 14th and I tentatively signed up to be misted. Then I began to worry...

I talked to a friend of mine who is also pregnant and she told me not to get the mist that you have to get the injection so you don't come in contact with an active strain. I took this word as good as gold, and contacted HR to change my election to an injection.

I looked it up in my Mayo Clinic book which discussed the seasonal flu shot, the book was for it but recommended talking to your doctor, and that some doctor's don't recommend the flu shot in the first trimester.... worry worry.

So I called the fertility clinic since we haven't been passed off to an ob-gyn... They ran it by the Dr. there and gave me a go. All of that running around... and I didn't feel any more at ease.

So the 14th has came and went, and on the 14th I went to the clinic, in a last ditch effort to make sure I asked the nurse who would be doing my injection... She said she highly recommends it especially if pregnant and there shouldnt be any ill affects doing it in the first trimester; dabbed my arm with an alcohol swab and gave me the shot, bandaged me, and sent me on my way.

I have been waiting to feel a side affect to this, to which I have none, infact I feel better this week then I did the previous week.

I can't believe how much worry this one decision caused me... and this is the first of many decisions we will face as mommies.... oye.

No comments:

Post a Comment